Fire Hydrant Protection System is designed to allows water to flow from a water main with the control of valve in order to put out a fire.
- Fire Hydrant Protection System is designed to fight fire of huge proportions, in all classes of risk. It is designed to be in operation even if a part of the affected structure collapse.
- Dry Barrel and Wet Barrel are the two kinds of Fire Hydrants, the wet barrel fire hydrant holds a constant water supply, while the dry barrel fire hydrant needs to a valve release to let water in.
- Fire hydrant installation consist of a system of pipe work connected direct to the water supply main to provide water to each and every hydrant outlet and is intended to provide water for the firemen to fight a fire.
- Water is discharged into the fire engine form which is then pumped and sprayed over fire. Where the water supply is not reliable or inadequate, hydrant pumps should be provided to pressurized the fire mains.
- The fire Pump Station comprises of the Jockey Pump, Electric Driven Pump and Stand-by Diesel driven Pump.
- The Pump operation is automatic through pressure switch contacts based on header pressure in the hydrant network..
- The delivery of the jockey pump and main pump is connected to the common delivery header.
- The Fire Hydrant Line is always kept pressurized with water. In the event of any minor pressure drop in the system, the pressure reaches the preset pressure setting for Jockey Pump, the Jockey pump will start automatically to compensate the pressure differential. In the event of opening one or more hydrant valve for fighting fire the Jockey pump will not be able to make up this water loss resulting in further pressure drop. When the falling pressure reaches the present pressure for main pump, the main pump will start automatically. In case of electric supply failure, stand by diesel engine drive pump will come into operation
Water Spray and Sprinkler System
- Water Spray System is a special fixed pipe system connected to a reliable source of pressurized water supply and equipped with water spray nozzles for application on area/ equipment to be protected. The system can be operated automatically by connection to an automatic detection and alarm system or manually, or both.
- Water spray system are generally used for fire protection of flammable liquid and gas storage tanks, piping, pumping equipment, electrical equipment such as transformers, oil switches, rotating electrical machinery etc. and for protection of openings in fire walls and floors.
- The piping system is connected to the water supply through an automatically actuated deluge Valve, which initiates flow of water. Automatic actuation is achieved by operation of automatic detection equipment installed along with water spray nozzles.
- A fire sprinkler System is an active fire protection measure, consisting of a water supply system, providing adequate pressure and flow rate to a water distribution pumping system, on to which fire sprinklers are connected.
- Fire Sprinkler is safety equipment in Hospitals, Schools, Hotels and Public Building, Industries etc. Fire Sprinkler System have been the biggest breakthrough in fire protection, fire sprinklers are the most effective method of protecting lives and property. Sprinkler System are now recognizes as being so effective they are being made mandatory in many situations.
- Sprinkler may be required to be installed to reduce potential property losses or business interruption. Each sprinkler activates independently when the predetermined heat level is reached. Because of this, the number of sprinklers that operate is limited to only those near the fire, thereby maximizing the available water pressure over the point of fire origin.
Water Rise System
- A typical building normally has two or more shaft, which travel from the lowest level of the building to its terrace. Such shafts are normally used to carry the piping for the wet-riser systems. Hydrant outlets are provided on every floor so that the entire floor area of the building is adequately covered. Outlets are provided in the form of double-outlet landing valves apart from a canvas hose for the use of fire-fighting personnel in the event of fire.
- All wet-rise pipes remain charged with water at systems pressure. The opening of a hydrant landing valve or hose reel on any floor reduces the pressure in the pipeline and starts the hydrant pump. Pump-sets of suitable capacity are provided for this purpose. Because of the static pressure differential caused by the change in floor height, a multi-stage pump is employed so the different tapping can be take from the output of the pump. Each of these tapping can be used to serve more than one floor. Pump-sets should be fed with reliable electric supply from a separate feeder and it is therefore also desirable to have a stand-by diesel pump